Russian media channel share the route of RAF RC-135W plane, reportedly intercepted over the Barents Sea
Daily Mail: Russian MIG-31 fighter jet carried out an ‘unsafe close pass’ of an RAF spy plane while it was in international airspace over Norwegian and Barents Seas, MoD reveals after Moscow claimed British aircraft crossed its state border
* Moscow said it ‘intercepted’ a British RC-135 spyplane over the Barents sea
* A leading pro-Putin politician demanded a ‘harsh’ response from the Kremlin
* MoD refuted the claim, arguing the spyplane did not breach Russia’s airspace
* The plane maintained constant contact with Russian civilian air traffic control
* An MoD spokesperson said a Russian MiG-31 jet made an ‘unsafe close pass’ of the RAF aircraft to force it away
A Russian MiG-31 fighter jet made an ‘unsafe close pass’ of an RAF spy plane yesterday, Britain’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) said, after Moscow claimed the plane had infringed on its airspace.
The RAF spyplane was flying over the Norwegian and Barents seas on Monday on a flight path which took it close to Russian territory, but at no point did the British aircraft enter Russian sovereign airspace.
The MoD said the RC-135 spy plane’s crew maintained radio communications with Russian civilian air traffic control throughout its flight.
Read more ….
Update #1: UK accuses Russian fighter jet of ‘unsafe close pass’ of RAF spy plane after Moscow claims airspace violated (The Independent)
Update #2: Russia accuses British spy plane of violating airspace north of Kola Peninsula (The Barents Observer)
WNU Editor: This is weird. According to the Kremlin the UK asked the Kremlin if it was alright to conduct a spy flight over Russia …. Russia Says Britain Requested Permission for Spy Plane to Fly Over Russia (Reuters). More here …. Russia accuses UK of ‘deliberate provocation’ (RT).